Trailer Towing Training Courses
B+E Trailer Towing Test
Our Towing Training Centres
Click on the location for details
Other Locations can be covered subject to test availability (please call to discuss)
Details of our courses available are now shown on a dedicated Trailer Training site that we have introduced - please see details by viewing our Trailer Course website - link below
To see our Trailer Course prices and current availability please click here :
(This is our specialised Trailer Course website)
Last minute availability-
1 day course and test - Leeds - Mon 11 Dec
1 day course and test - London (Enfield or Heathrow) -Thur 14 Dec
*****Please call ASAP to book ******
To book a Trailer Test Course please call us on 07990761177 or email :
Please call or send an email for details of up to the minute details of all courses / dates available across the UK.
Booking Line 0203 6519452 / 07990 761177
Need a specific quote ? We can offer you a date & price within minutes :-
**NFU Discount Vouchers Accepted In West & North Yorks - Please contact us for details**
*** Job Vacancy ***
We are currently looking to recruit extra Trailer Instructors in the following areas :
- South East (London / Surrey / Kent / Berkshire)
- North West (Bolton / Preston)
- Mobile (covering many of our existing locations - lots of travel involved !)
See our "Instructor Recruitment" page on this website for more details
Types of Courses & The B+E Driving Test
All our courses include the full use of our vehicles and trailers throughout the training AND the B+E Driving Test (please check this is the case if you are comparing prices elsewhere !!!)
B+E Driving Test - What you will be required to do :
- "Show Me / Tell Questions"
- Reversing Exercise
- Couple and Re-Couple Exercise
- An hour long drive with a DVSA Driving Examiner (you will need to demonstrate skills over and above your car driving test - please do not under-estimate how important your current driving skill level is when choosing a course length)
1 Day B + E Course
• Suitable for someone who has lots of experience at towing and reversing
• Concentrates on preparation for the B + E Trailer Test exercises
• General driving skills are assessed and improved in readiness for the Trailer Test.
• Test held at end of the day - be prepared for a tiring day
Comment from our Head of Training
experience , someone with towing experience is usually ok with a 1 or
1.5 day course. It always amazes me when pupils tell me that other
companies wanted them to do a 3 or 4 day course. Our first attempt pass
rate of over 80% is complete justification to say that such long
courses are just not needed."
1.5 day B + E Course
• Still suitable for someone with trailer experience but allows an overnight break.
• General driving skills assessed and improved in readiness for the Test
• Test held on 2nd day after a further training session.
2 Day Course
- Suitable for someone who has little or no experience with Trailers
- Ideal for someone who would welcome more practice time
- Test held at the end of day 2
Also available :
2 Day Course (2 people sharing)
3 Day Course (2 People Sharing)
Sharing courses are only available for work colleagues and friends ( we don't put complete strangers together !)
- Our instructor will meet you each day at one of our training centres or a pre-arranged location
that require a B + E test are usually available within 2/3 weeks but we
may be able to offer earlier dates if required (sometimes within 7 days
subject to availability)
for the courses can be made by Bank to Bank Transfer or Paypal (Debit /
Credit Cards accepted via Paypal) - sorry we do not accept cheque
Call our B+E Training Team, on 07990 761177 for more information or to book your place
We are the official approved supplier for driver training for "Transport For London"
**NFU Discount Vouchers Accepted In West & North Yorks
Please contact us for details**
We have several years experience in providing longer term contract work for company's and organisations who have a regular supply of people needing to gain the B+E Licence. These include National Company's, Armed Forces and several Local Councils. If you would like us to offer terms / tender for your regular work please get in touch. This can be at one of our existing locations or even those not on our list at present.
Our courses include the use of one of our vehicles and 2600kg Box Trailer (See Pic above). Both meet the specific requirements stipulated by the Driving Standards Agency for the B+E Trailer Test, including the revised Weight requirements from Nov 2013
Our Pass Rates over the last 5 years average over 80%
This is based on first time passes from all the B+E Trailer Tests our pupils have taken - (not just the number who eventually pass) and we put hundreds of customers through our courses every year -
The National Average for all B+E Trailer Tests in the UK in 2012 was just 51% according to DVSA official figures.
Can you afford NOT to choose us ??
How do we do it ?
We put our excellent pass rate down to several factors :
- Our "instructors" being fully qualified ADI's (DSA Approved Driving Instructors). To offer the B+E Trailer Test Training Courses it is not a standard requirement to be an ADI , but we believe it makes all the difference
- Training is provided on 1-1 Basis (except where 2-1 training is requested and even then it will be employees from the same company) , this means no sharing with someone you don't know and no wasted time sat watching someone else practise
- We specialize in the B+E Trailer Licence and all our efforts go into providing the best and most professional service in the UK
The B+E Test is a challenging experience - Most of the B+E Test failures come as a
result of something the candidate did whilst driving - Not the reversing
exercise or coupling up. We have years of experience at putting right
peoples driving faults and preparing them for very demanding DSA Driving
When seeking quotes for a B+E Trailer Test Course , always ask if the instructor is a fully qualified DSA Approved Driving Instructor.
Our Training Philosophy
We won't tell you that you need a 3 or 4 day course when you can be more than prepared after just a day or two.
We will give you the very best training over a 1 or 2 day period, with 1-1 tuition from a fully qualified instructor and the use of a modern easy to use vehicle coupled with a Box Trailer that is weighted to the DSA Test Requirements.
Our Training is not split into lots of short sessions where you have to keep coming back day after day. We recognise that time is precious and so we aim to get you fully prepared and hopefully passed as quickly as possible.
We have helped in the last few years, including :-
Transport For London
Cornthwaite Tree Care
The GAP Group
Chippendale Plant Hire
London / Thames Rowing Clubs
South Yorks NHS
If you are comparing quotes with other training providers always consider the length of course they want you to sign up to...and whether they consider that a "day" of training is just 4 hours ?
More Information On Towing and the B+E Licence Category
Can you tow a trailer legally ?
Driving licence rules and what you can tow
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test
Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:
- small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
- trailers weighing more than 750kg (this usually means anything with brakes) , where the combined GROSS weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined GROSS weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.
You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg
Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:
- a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
- a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined GROSS weight of up to 3,500kg in total)
Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally
entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.
This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load
that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.
You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM
Towing heavier combinations (Vehicle weight over 3500kg)
If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement
to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.
Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.
Gross Trailer Weight
This is the max weight a trailer is permitted to carry , including its own weight. So if you have a trailer that weighs 700kg but has a Gross Max Weight of 2500kg then the latter is classed as its real weight for legal towing purposes
Gross MAM of your Vehicle & Trailer = Max Gross Vehicle Weight + Max Gross Trailer Weight
The possible Penalties for Towing Without a Valid Licence
- 9 Penalty Points (3 For the missing Licence entitlement and 6 for no Insurance - owing to fact you are driving without a licence)
- A Maximum fine of approx £5000
- Possible impounding of your vehicle and trailer
- Employer fines of up to £1000 per employee prosecution
Is it worth the risk ?
Even if you believe you are entitled to tow legally our advice is to get some “trailer training” if you have little or no experience before you consider towing anything. Our “introduction to towing” courses are informative and enjoyable. It will give you the chance to gain some basic skills that you can demonstrate when using your own trailer without the fear of looking stupid.
The B+E car and trailer driving test
- The car and trailer test lasts for approximately 1 hour 30 mins and is based on a mixture between the standard car driving test and the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) test.
- The test comprises elements at the test centre and on the public road:
- Ability to undertake safety checks on your vehicle and trailer
- A reversing exercise
- A 60 minute road drive, demonstrating advanced observation, use of speed and management of space to a very high standard.
- An Independent Drive (10 mins as part of the 60 min on-road drive)
- Unhitching and re-coupling
- Without proper training, many people fail the B+E test on the standard of their road driving, so all trainers are DSA Approved Driving Instructors . You will find us friendly and professional, we are also extremely patient and believe that learning should be fun.
- Irrespective of your previous towing experience, we will prepare you not just for the test (if you need to take it) but to tow with skill, confidence and safety.
- Reversing exercise training usually takes place on private ground.
- Intensive courses are available midweek. Lasting a full day, this is normally sufficient time to prepare people for B+E test success and beyond.
- Training is usually provided on a 1:1 basis, though you are welcome to share courses with a friend or colleague when appropriate. Discounts are offered for this.
- All training is conducted using our vehicle and trailer , although you are welcome to use your own vehicle and / or trailer if you prefer. We allow a discount from any of the course prices if you use your own vehicle.
Please read what some of our previous customers think :-
" I just wanted to say a big thanks to you and the trailer course content, as you know I passed first time with your help. I would highly recommend you to anyone I know wanting to do the B + E trailer entitlement, money well spend, I would rate this 10/10, Thanks again! Mr Robertshaw "
Thank you Chris. I know I didn't want to take your advice initially when I called you , more fool me as I went and took a trailer test without much training. After failing (Badly) I came along to you in shame but you were very friendly and never made me feel silly. If you need a trainer with LOTS of patience choose Chris. Thank you Thank you Thank you !!
Frank Jeffery - Chingford Building Comp
Many thanks Chris for your efforts over the last 3 weeks. We didn't need another "pull" from the local police and I can sleep much easier now that all my guys are "legal". Cheers
Sarah Connor - Jump Logistics, Newbury
Chris, we just wanted to pass on our thanks for taking complete control of our trailer training needs. Everyone involved said how enjoyable their courses were as well as over-flowing with useful content. I know personally how much I have learned (and how much I had forgotten about safe driving!) We will be passing on your details to all the associated drivers we have to make sure they are aware of the B+E Licence needs - Thank you
James Edwards - Bicester "Thanks for everything Chris. I am proof that there is almost no chance of passing the B+E test without proper training. As you know I took a test last month on my own and failed with 4 serious errors ! I thought I knew it all given that I have been pulling trailers on the farm for 5 years. My one day course with you was perfect. To start at 8am and end at 4pm with a Test Certificate and just 3 minor faults was just a brilliant result. I would say to anyone who thinks they don't need proper training - Think again"