Home renovation is an exciting project for many homeowners who want to go with the flow of the times and keep their abodes updated with new styles when it comes to architecture and interior design. However, although it may spark the interest of many, the home renovation costs that come with it are not so appealing especially to those considered as “average-earning” homeowners – and this is largely the reason why most people forgo renovating their houses until enough money is saved.
Actually, home renovation will not burn a very big hole in a homeowner’s pocket as long as one knows how to estimate the cost of the project. Having a good understanding of the factors that may affect the renovation costs will help a homeowner in planning the whole renovation process so it will fit his/her budget.
The following are the factors that affect renovation costs, which each homeowner who is interested of breathing new life to his/her abode should know, and understand well:
1) Size of the house. The size of the house that needs to be renovated should be taken into consideration. The bigger the house, the higher the costs. On the other hand, there are instances wherein not the whole house but only parts of it (perhaps the kitchen or the living room) are the only ones that need the renovation. In either case, whether the whole house must have the makeover or just a particular room, the size or the area (usually in square footage) that needs the work must be taken into consideration in calculating the cost.
2) Scale of the project. The scale of the project refers to the amount of work to be done in renovating the house. Do the plumbing of the house just need to be replaced or relocated? Do the rooms just need to be readjusted or do whole new rooms need to be made? Usually, the scale of the project is referred in two terms. Small projects or minor fixes are called as “midrange projects” while big fixes are called as “upscale projects”. Without a doubt, upscale projects really cost more.
3) Materials. The choice of materials also greatly affects the total cost of the home renovation. Definitely, high-quality materials or fixtures cost more. bathroom renovations
4) Project Region. The over-all home renovation costs differ from region to region in the US. Consequently, even in each region, the costs also differ from one state to another. To get project estimates that are accurate in a certain area, it is wise to consult prices from “re-modelers” of that particular locale. It is also advisable to check Remodeling Magazine’s website for reports.
5) Contractor’s value for the project. The contractor’s quote for the project will greatly affect the cost. That’s why it is essential to find a contractor that gives quality work at a reasonable price.